College & Career Planning
Rockford Christian Counseling Center
Our Academic Counseling office is staffed by an experienced and dedicated team whose purpose is to support students development academically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually.
At RCS students are actively engaged in a comprehensive counseling curriculum throughout middle and high school. Some of the highlights of their experience includes:
- Weekly Advisor Meetings: All middle and high school students participate in weekly small group sessions to help students explore topics including social and emotional development, as well as career and college planning.
- Grades 6-10: ACT Aspire connects a student's college readiness in the areas of English, math, reading, and science. This program checks annual student growth in each grade in the context of college and career readiness. Taking the ACT Aspire is a great way to prepare for the ACT, which students can take their junior year to serve as their college entrance exam score.
- Grades 10 and 11: Students take the PSAT to prepare for the SAT which is used for college admission. PSAT testing also is used as a qualifier for the National Merit Scholarship Competition.
- Grades 11 and 12: ACT testing is offered on site at RCS twice annually in the fall and spring.
- College Fair: Our annual NACCAP College Fair brings over 50 national colleges to the Rockford Christian Schools campus. Hundreds of students and parents participate each year to meet with admission representatives.
- College Visits: Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are permitted three days per year for the purpose of visiting colleges of their choice. College visits include public, private, small and large schools and are integral to discovering the best fit for each student.
- On-Campus Admissions Visits: Each semester RCS hosts a variety of college admission representatives for small group meetings, as well as large group informational talks.
- Alumni: Past Royal Lions are great advocates and are our best source of college inspiration. In advisor groups, we invite our alumni to come and share their college and post college experiences.
- One-on-One Advising: Individual meetings with our academic counselors assist students to work through schedules, plan for graduation, and plan for college, including application and scholarship opportunities.
We are committed to helping students find the colleges and universities that best align with their individual objectives and strengths.
Rockford Christian students use Naviance Family Connection to aid student in finding college and career pathways that are right for them. Through Naviance, students use a series of assessments to discover their:
- Personality Type via Myers Briggs Personality Test
- Learning Styles
- Career Interests
Results from these assessments will help students match their unique preferences and interests with college and career options.